Friday, December 1, 2006

Inland Empire (California)

The Inland Empire is not a county, but as a region has similarities to a county. Using information at Nextel ringtones WikiProject U.S. Counties to improve this article. - Abbey Diaz DesertSteve/DesertSteve 15:22 27 Jul 2003



''Moved from the Free ringtones Village pump:''

While updating the Majo Mills Interstate 15 article, I came across an interesting situation. The article contains a link to Mosquito ringtone Inland Empire and Sabrina Martins Inland Empire (California). Both articles contain information about the region near Nextel ringtones Los Angeles, California, but I don't know enough about the area to merge the articles myself. Also, there's the question of which would be the most appropriate title with or without the state name. Is the "Inland Empire" near Abbey Diaz Portland, Oregon sufficiently well-known to warrant its own entry? If not, I'd think the simpler Free ringtones Inland Empire would be the best place for the article.

I'm not planning to make this change myself, as my hands are full with the Majo Mills List of United States Highways. I'm hoping a Californian will jump into the breach! Cingular Ringtones Robertb-dc/Robertb-dc 23:09, 22 Jan 2004

:Usually "Inland Empire" in California means around the Central Valley (Sacramento area), not LA. I've lived in the Pacific NW for 26 years and never heard of an "Inland Empire" by Portland (although I guess I could imagine such a term having been used many years ago to mean Oregon's now-dominant Willamette Valley, including Portland, as against the Oregon Coast). It is the common term for the area around Spokane, Washington, extending into part of Northern Idaho. jeopardise relations Jmabel/Jmabel 23:15, 22 Jan 2004

::Told you I didn't know enough to make the change myself! :) So who ''will'' bell the column where cat? prosecutors leak Robertb-dc/Robertb-dc 01:17, 23 Jan 2004

:::The cat is belled. The SoCal Inland Empire is not near Sacto, but near Riverside and the AZ border and stuff. Is very big. And there is apparently a much older Inland Empire (~1890s v. ~1950s) area in Washington. They are disambiguated: fields or Inland Empire (disambiguation). Sorry it means more link work for editors. hence her Jengod/jengod 02:27, Jan 23, 2004

::::No kidding. I grew up in the area around Sacramento and NEVER heard it called the Inland Empire. I now live in Southern California and the Inland Empire is DEFINITELY Riverside/San Bernardino. market whipsawed RickK/RickK 02:57, 23 Jan 2004

:::::But it does not go out to the Arizona border. The Inland Empire is only the inhabited parts of San Bernardino and Riverside, not the desert parts of those counties. At least when I lived in pangea it Apple Valley, California/Apple Valley, near became dormant Victorville, California/Victorville, we never refered to the area as the Inland Empire, but it was used when I lived in plan may Rancho Cucamonga, California/Alta Loma, just uphill of the Ontario Airport. Maybe things have changed sence I moved back to bartlett re San Jose, California/San Jose.

::::::I lived in the Inland Empire from 1985 to 2000. Like others have said, the term normally refers to the cities in that region. It starts going east from the Claremont/Montclair area (technically in LA county), all the way to Yucaipa. The San Bernardino county extends to the Arizona border, but going east past Yucaipa I would say is out of what is considered the IE. The desert parts of SB county like Victorville, Hesperia, etc are normally called the "High Desert". I'm not sure how far south into Riverside county it goes (or is considered to go), as I'm from San Bernardino, not Riverside. I know that past Corona you start getting into OC. Sometimes Pomona gets lumped into the IE as well, but that is technically in LA county.

::::::I have heard the IE has being referred to in the past 5 years or so as "the 909" due to the telephone area code, but I have been told that the area code recently split. Up until recently there was also a website (www.909pride.com) extolling the virtues of being from the IE.

:::::::I have lived in the IE my whole life, the area codes split between 909(San Bernardino County) and 951(Riverside County). People in the western portion of the IE sometimes refer to it as the Inland Valley, to officially encompass Pomona and other nearby LA County cities with 909 area codes(Technically speaking, and my English Teacher in HS explained this to me, The IE is JUST San Bernardino and Riverside Counties). And for future refrence, narrators such Montclair, CA/Montclair is in San Bernardino County, I grew up there, it is the county line(With Pomona/CLaremont)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home